Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

KadMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2009
They are both set to maximum brightness but my series 4 is brighter than my series 7.

Reactions: Ram65

usagora

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2017
Well, I had a series 4 before I bought my current series 6. I did purchase the series 7 at launch but ended up returning it because I changed my mind about spending the money. But the display looked just as bright to me as the series 6 (and the 6 looked just as bright as the 4). I think someone mentioned in a thread some months ago that the glass is thicker (?) so maybe that makes it look different to some people. But I didn't notice any reduction in brightness.

Is this just an academic question from your observations, or is this actually affecting the usability of your watch in sunlight?

KadMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2009
Well, I had a series 4 before I bought my current series 6. I did purchase the series 7 at launch but ended up returning it because I changed my mind about spending the money. But the display looked just as bright to me as the series 6 (and the 6 looked just as bright as the 4). I think someone mentioned in a thread some months ago that the glass is thicker (?) so maybe that makes it look different to some people. But I didn't notice any reduction in brightness.

Is this just an academic question from your observations, or is this actually affecting the usability of your watch in sunlight?

Just from my observations. It is not creating a negative experience, however, I got the series 7 over the holidays and I am debating if I will keep it since I still have my series 4. I think I am having the same thought as you did and I am not sure about if I want to spend the money on the difference between the two. My series 4 is still going strong.

PaladinGuy

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2014
If I recall correctly, the series 4 doesn’t have an ambient light sensor. The brightest stays the same every time it turns on, based on your settings. The series 5 and later have ambient light sensors that adjust brightness to surroundings. I think that’s why some think the screen is dimmer.

KadMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2009
If I recall correctly, the series 4 doesn’t have an ambient light sensor. The brightest stays the same every time it turns on, based on your settings. The series 5 and later have ambient light sensors that adjust brightness to surroundings. I think that’s why some think the screen is dimmer.

That makes sense. Thank you.

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2012
That is unfortunately wrong. The ambient light sensor is a given for the S4, because otherwise it would burn your eyes off in the cinema, bedroom or other dark places. My S4 definitely adjusts the brightness to its surroundings, and a source says so too: https://appleinsider.com/inside/apple-watch-series-4

Reactions: lelisa13p and Plett

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
That is unfortunately wrong. The ambient light sensor is a given for the S4, because otherwise it would burn your eyes off in the cinema, bedroom or other dark places. My S4 definitely adjusts the brightness to its surroundings, and a source says so too: https://appleinsider.com/inside/apple-watch-series-4
I agree. Maybe the sensor has improved, but S4 definately has ambient light sensor.

I have noticed the difference my self between S4 and S7. But that is between an Ion-glass s4 and safire s7 and since I don't have the S4 around I don't notice that much.

mk313

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2012
Did you switch from the Aluminum 4 to a stainless or other Series 7. The Aluminum one has a glass face, while the other models use Sapphire. I recall reading somewhere that the Saphire displays are slightly dimmer than the glass ones. I've only had aluminum ones so I can't confirm, but it seems reasonable.

Reactions: Plett

Howard2k

macrumors 68040
Mar 10, 2016
Did you switch from the Aluminum 4 to a stainless or other Series 7. The Aluminum one has a glass face, while the other models use Sapphire. I recall reading somewhere that the Saphire displays are slightly dimmer than the glass ones. I've only had aluminum ones so I can't confirm, but it seems reasonable.
I have to assume that Apple measures the NITS from in front of the glass. You're right, the sapphire will let less light through than the Ion-X, but that just means that Apple needs to use a slightly brighter light source.

Or, they don't, and they just don't factor in the different glass types and maybe it's really just over 1,000 NITS on Ion-X and just less than 1,000 NITS on Sapphire and averages 1,000 NITS. :)

You are correct though - the properties of the two glass types are not the same and the Sapphire does let less light through.

Dino F

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
Just from my observations. It is not creating a negative experience, however, I got the series 7 over the holidays and I am debating if I will keep it since I still have my series 4. I think I am having the same thought as you did and I am not sure about if I want to spend the money on the difference between the two. My series 4 is still going strong.

Series 4 is a better watch that’s why
Agreed ☝🏼

My Stainless Steel Space Black 44mm S4 is also still going strong and is one of the best watches made if you ask me - it looks much nicer than today's S7 dull colours.

The S7 barely has anything new vs the S4 (I've never cared for an always on display - there is really zero reason for the display to be illuminated when you're not looking at the screen) and also don't need that added sensor the S7 has so kept hold of my S4. Unless they change the design, I'll be sticking with it.

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
Agreed ☝🏼

My Stainless Steel Space Black 44mm S4 is also still going strong and is one of the best watches made if you ask me - it looks much nicer than today's S7 dull colours.

The S7 barely has anything new vs the S4 (I've never cared for an always on display - there is really zero reason for the display to be illuminated when you're not looking at the screen) and also don't need that added sensor the S7 has so kept hold of my S4. Unless they change the design, I'll be sticking with it.
I disagree. With always on display I finally use it as watch and not just tracking fitness. Another big difference is the charge speed. Coming from Garmin, the charge speed and battery life was very anoying about apple watch besides the missing always on display. But I got used to it and the charge speed was in sync with my phone. But S7 (41mm) charges way faster than my iphone 12pro and therefore almost too fast now 😀

• Wow
Reactions: Dino F and hanser

Dino F

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
I disagree. With always on display I finally use it as watch and not just tracking fitness.

I don't follow??!

I use my S4 as a Watch first and foremost - when I need to check the time, I turn my wrist and the screen comes on to show me the time. When someone doesn't want to check the time (so not looking at the screen), there is zero need for it to be illuminated...

Another big difference is the charge speed. Coming from Garmin, the charge speed and battery life was very anoying about apple watch besides the missing always on display. But I got used to it and the charge speed was in sync with my phone. But S7 (41mm) charges way faster than my iphone 12pro and therefore almost too fast now 😀
I find my battery life quite healthy anyway and the charging speed isn't too bad neither.

Reactions: lelisa13p

Howard2k

macrumors 68040
Mar 10, 2016
I don't follow??!

I use my S4 as a Watch first and foremost - when I need to check the time, I turn my wrist and the screen comes on to show me the time. When someone doesn't want to check the time (so not looking at the screen), there is zero need for it to be illuminated...

I find my battery life quite healthy anyway and the charging speed isn't too bad neither.
Impossible. You simply cannot use it as a watch without AOD.

• Haha
Reactions: Dino F

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
I don't follow??!

The demonstratively movement + delay makes it annoying and slow, compared to just glance. The display turning on/off at unwanted times I also find distracting and attracting attention, so I ended up using it in theater mode most of the time (used it while sleeping and stopped disabling it, except when running). So then I needed to use both arms to check time, so it was easier to check my phone with one arm.

I also want it to look like a watch (not gadget), when I am not looking at it. Apple watch is NOT a looker, but allways on dispays with a simple analog watch face and as few and toned down complications as possible (not those colorfull infograph ones looking like a computer screen) helps a whole lot to get away from gadget look and make it presentable. The natural Titanium I decided to go for this time, also helps a lot to get closer the look and feel of my old analog watches. My wrists are not big enough to get the natural watch + look with 44/45mm, though I tried both with s4 alu and s7 titanium.

The 40mm s4 has the smallest battery capacity and worst battery life I believe of any AW. The s5,s6 and s7 40/41mm has stepped up and using a new battery technology bringing a big increase in battery capacity and close to the 44/45mm which has stayed on the old tech with only marginally improvements.

But at least s4 40mm charges faster than in s4 44mm in pct. Hower the slow charging speed was especially annoying comming from a garmin lasting easily a week and if needed charging could do in minutes (FR 735). Making the contrast even starker, I temporarely bought an Amazfit bib which could last 30-45days, because I already sold my garmin and had to wait for my AW to arrive.

Reactions: Dino F
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.