Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

GriffinCorp2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2022
I want to be able to add folders for Movies. I think I remember some of the first Apple TV's having this feature, like ten years ago. But I cannot find it today. I wanted to create a folder for James Bond Movies, Kid Movies, etc. I can't believe this is not requested more. I hate having to scroll through 500+ movies alphabetically. At least they gave us a recently purchased tab. Since the Apple TV 4K has been out, I've been purchasing more and more content digitally.

Is there another way to sort or how do others handle it?

dwfaust

macrumors 604
Jul 3, 2011
I want to be able to add folders for Movies. I think I remember some of the first Apple TV's having this feature, like ten years ago. But I cannot find it today. I wanted to create a folder for James Bond Movies, Kid Movies, etc. I can't believe this is not requested more. I hate having to scroll through 500+ movies alphabetically. At least they gave us a recently purchased tab. Since the Apple TV 4K has been out, I've been purchasing more and more content digitally.

Is there another way to sort or how do others handle it?

Try creating additional (more granular) genres/subgenres... and then select movies by that subgenre. Something like Action-Bond, Kids, Comedies-Sandler, etc. It's not a perfect solution, but without the ability to create folders within the library, it will get you closer to where you want to be.

GriffinCorp2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2022
Try creating additional (more granular) genres/subgenres... and then select movies by that subgenre. Something like Action-Bond, Kids, Comedies-Sandler, etc. It's not a perfect solution, but without the ability to create folders within the library, it will get you closer to where you want to be.
Is this something that can be done from the Apple TV? I have the Apple TV app on my 2013 MacBook Pro and I can only create playlists, but it wants to download those movies to my computer and I don't have the space for that.

dwfaust

macrumors 604
Jul 3, 2011
Is this something that can be done from the Apple TV? I have the Apple TV app on my 2013 MacBook Pro and I can only create playlists, but it wants to download those movies to my computer and I don't have the space for that.
From what I can see, no.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I have created a lot of movie and tv show playlists to organize my library in different ways. For example, I have a 1950's Science Fiction playlist with movies in chronological order based on their release date. I use a 2014 Mini as a server for these, so I can access them as shared playlists on two Apple TV's and other devices. However, this seems to be broken in the TV app, so I have kept the Mini on Mojave with iTunes.

But yes, you need to download all your movies to do this. If you have a lot of movies, you might seriously consider getting a big enough disk for them. If you don't download them, there's a chance that some of them could just vanish someday...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.