Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is encouraging people who are still running iOS 14 to update to iOS 15, a reversal of an earlier policy that saw the company allowing iOS 14 users to choose not to install the iOS 15 update.

iOS-14-vs-15-feature.jpg

When iOS 15 launched, Apple said that iOS offered a "choice between two software update versions," pledging to offer security updates for those who opted to stick with iOS 14.
iOS now offers a choice between two software update versions in the Settings app. You can update to the latest version of iOS 15 as soon as it's released for the latest features and most complete set of security updates. Or continue on iOS 14 and still get important security updates until you're ready to upgrade to the next major version.
With normal releases, iOS updates are front and center in the Software Update section of the Settings app, but when iOS 15 first came out, it was a footnote at the bottom of the Software Update interface on devices running iOS 14, and easily avoidable.

Apple's patience for those avoiding iOS 15 seems to have dwindled over the last few months, and the company is now pushing iOS 14 users to update. The iOS 15 update is no longer a footnote at the bottom of the Software Update section on a device running iOS 14, and Apple has also stopped releasing iOS 14 security updates.

There was a clear option to stay on iOS 14 and receive updates, which appears to have been eliminated with the launch of iOS 15.2. Apple did not reintroduce the remain on iOS 14 option in the iOS 15.2.1 update that came out yesterday, which seems to be a clear sign that Apple is now expecting people to upgrade. iPhone users who want to have the latest security protections must now update to iOS 15.

As an example, Apple in October released iOS 14.8.1 with security updates. On an iPhone still running iOS 14.8, the iOS 14.8.1 update is no longer available, and Apple is only offering iOS 15.2.1 as an installation option.

iOS 15 is available on all of the devices that are able to run iOS 14, and removing the option to stay on iOS 14 will likely spur people to upgrade. At the current time, iOS 15 is installed on 72 percent of devices from the last four years, which is a notably lower adoption rate than we've seen with prior versions of iOS.

(Thanks, DhinakG!)

Article Link: Apple More Aggressively Pushing iOS 14 Users to Upgrade to iOS 15

jrlcopy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
Yeah I had to manually install iOS 15 on my parents devices over xmas, it's weird since I had auto-update on their phones on already, usually it just figures itself out with all the other .point releases.

Reactions: ikir

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
I think the older iOS 14 receiving security updates was meant for people who prefer to wait a while before upgrading, as well as IT departments needing extra time for deployment.

iOS 15 hasn't been the best, so I can see why people have wanted to wait. Reminds me of iOS 8 and iOS 11 which were both horrible. We need more releases like iOS 9 and iOS 12 which were meant to provide more stability rather than many new features.

ReliableSource

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2011
Yeah I had to manually install iOS 15 on my parents devices over xmas, it's weird since I had auto-update on their phones on already, usually it just figures itself out with all the other .point releases.
This is why I think they're making the change. My mom has no reason to stay on 14 - if anything, I'd rather she update so she can share her screen with me over FaceTime for troubleshooting.

But she thought she was still up-to-date with iOS 14 months after 15 had been released because there was nothing that made it clear to her a newer version was available.

TheYayAreaLiving 🎗

macrumors demi-goddess
I figured this would happen at some point. I was surprised that Apple initially gave users a choice to stay on iOS 14.
I was surprised too but I think it probably had to do with CSAM. But now iOS 15 offers more security/privacy features. Apple want people to have iOS 15 installed on their devices.

Jakewilk

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2014
The menu screen option to stay on iOS 14 was so uncharacteristic of Apple, it seemed (to me) they were silently admitting that iOS 15 wasn’t finished yet. No wonder the install rate is lower.
I think there is a history of new releases being buggy at first and then stabilizing a few months in. The plan to keep iOS 14 around for a few more months was probably less an admission that they were releasing an unfinished product and more a show of humility on the part of the software developers indicating that they have no way of finding all the bugs until the software reaches a broad audience

TheYayAreaLiving 🎗

macrumors demi-goddess

antiprotest

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2010

GuruZac

macrumors 68020
Sep 9, 2015
I was running iOS 15 beta software for months until I believe iOS 15.2 beta 3. It killed auto-brightness which was super annoying. So I manually downgraded to iOS 15.1 at the time and haven’t had hardly any issues on my 13 Pro. All point releases since then have been fairly stable overall. I was hoping to see a new look in iOS 16 but Apple’s track record doesn’t look good to provide stability plus major design overhauls. I’m most curious to see what happens with iPadOS 16 this year.

mcfrazieriv

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2012
Good. No reason to be on iOS 14. This would have never happened under SJ.
The menu screen option to stay on iOS 14 was so uncharacteristic of Apple, it seemed (to me) they were silently admitting that iOS 15 wasn’t finished yet. No wonder the install rate is lower.

What are you guys talking about? MacOS has always provided the option to not upgrade and last I checked, Apple made MacOS. You always had to find and download the new OS version on your own. Providing users in iOS this same function is great. The downside is that Apple can't boast about iOS 15+ adoption levels in press releases.

letsGoOn2

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2005
Rochester, NY
I thought CSAM was stalled?

Not exactly
Update: Apple spokesperson Shane Bauer told The Verge that though the CSAM detection feature is no longer mentioned on its website, plans for CSAM detection have not changed since September, which means CSAM detection is still coming in the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.